V.A.C. Therapy Reimbursement for Private Patients
V.A.C.® Therapy Negative Pressure Wound Therapy (NPWT) is recognised as an approved outpatient therapy for private patients by Vhi Healthcare, Aviva Healthcare & Quinn Healthcare, allowing KCI Ireland to bring wound care to the home care setting for Irish private patients.
On July 1st 2008, V.A.C. Therapy became a recognised device on the Vhi Healthcare 'Approved List of Medical and Surgical Appliances'. As a result, Vhi patients can be discharged from hospital on V.A.C. Therapy and submit a claim for reimbursement from Vhi.
V.A.C. Therapy also has an established direct billing agreement with AVIVA, where members can receive V.A.C. Therapy in the homecare setting, without upfront payment and the need to seek reimbursement from AVIVA. Aviva Healthcare patients should contact Aviva directly to discuss the specifics of their health plan.
Quinn Healthcare patients should contact Quinn directly, as approval for V.A.C. Therapy as an outpatient is made on a case-by-case basis.
Please contact your private insurer directly prior to hospital discharge if your consultant has requested you continue your wound healing at home with V.A.C. Therapy.
Please find to the right of this page some supporting materials which can be easily downloaded by clicking on the link.
In public and private hospitals across the Republic of Ireland, V.A.C. Therapy is utilised by healthcare professionals as an active and effective wound healing tool.
- V.A.C. Therapy in most cases is available if you are a Medical Card holder
- In specific situations, an Emergency Medical Card may apply to cover the costs for V.A.C. Therapy
- Patients with private insurance should contact their insurance company directly to discuss cover for V.A.C. Therapy prior to hospital discharge.
- V.A.C. Therapy is recognised as medical expense by the tax authorities in case you choose to pay for the therapy yourself
- For any reimbursement queries regarding other KCI products and therapies, please contact us directly on Freephone 1800 33 33 77